Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Kiasu-ness

All my friends have decided on what they wanted to study in. Most of them opted for A-Levels or Form 6. Some go for Business, others go for Law and Engineering. My closest friends have gone for Design. And the most lucky ones got scholarships to study overseas. Me? I'm still juggling around thinking what I should do right now. Should I continue studying in TAR College, or go pursue my studies somewhere else that seemed better?

My friends persisted me to study in Help, Sunway, Monash, MMU, or anywhere else, you name it. But I still hang on to my current college despite people advising and urging me to do something that is equal to my academic excellence I obtained from my previous SPM examination. However, I think my college is still good, and I'm getting along with it. Quality education that everyone can afford, although I don't like the fact that there's not much competition going around in this college. I like the lecturers although they were not like my school teachers in the past, because they won't help you to understand better or tutor you personally in your studies. (I particularly wanted to express my disappointment over a particular lecturer in my college, but I wouldn't tell you who is it, eventhough you insisted me to)

In a college environment, it's either just do or die. If you do not constantly upgrade yourself and outperform one another every day (well mostly on weekdays actually), you remain as an underdog. What you say, sonny? Is this a sense of kiasu-ness?

Quoted here was a piece of Wikipedia article on what kiasu is defined as:

Kiasu (Traditional Chinese: 驚輸; POJ: kiaⁿ-su) is a Hokkien (a Chinese spoken variant) word that literally means 'fear of losing' (Mandarin Chinese: 怕输). However its actual usage would imply a meaning more approaching that of "dog in a manger", and yet not quite. This word is so widely used by Singaporeans and Malaysians that it is incorporated into their English vocabulary (in the form of Singlish). It is often used in describing the social attitudes of people, especially about South East Asian society and its values. Its widespread use is often because these attitudes are common—to not lose out in a highly competitive society (e.g. by above-cited examples), or to the extent of parents imposing heavy study labour on their children in their wish to make them at the very top of all other students. Growing up with this attitude, these students often become ambitious businesspeople, with the desire to be on top in wealth and prestige regardless of whether the most prestigious careers are aligned with their true capabilities.

Maybe there is a sense of kiasu-ness that will just appear about anywhere, whether it'd be in school, in college, or even fighting to get in a crowded train, or struggling to get a limited Gucci bag during a Mega Sale in a shopping mall.

What am I saying is, eventhough people don't deny themselves a kiasu, they did not realise that they are acting like a kiasu right now. This kiasu competition is just so intense in our modern world today, but I believe, that it has brought upon some good effects towards development of the people and their minds. (excluding cases of corruption, discrimination, prejudism, and stereotypical attitude)


I can't wait to watch Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian this Thursday (15/5)! I read the book like 3 years ago, and it's so obvious that I forgotten how the story would go. I still remember that mouse, Raphecheep. Wait, did I get the name correct?

I am trying to book a ticket to watch the movie as soon as possible. Wait, did you see the kiasu-ness in me right now? xD

By the way, do enjoy watching this music video. It's Last Song by Gackt. It's a really beautiful and soothing song to listen to once in a while, even if you do not know any Japanese.


No comments:

Post a Comment